It’s HOT outside, like unbearable Florida heat + humidity kind of hot and the only thing I can think about is ice cream! But here’s the thing, one can’t live off of ice cream for 3 months… I’ve tried! Also I’m not a big fan of super sweet deserts unless it contains chocolate then all bets are off, so when I came across Jamie Oliver’s recipe for avocado ice cream I thought bingo! Something cold, sort-of-sweet, sort-of-savory, and sort-of-healthy! I have attached the full recipe below, I hope to attempt this recipe this weekend at some point if I don’t melt before them! But my-oh-my it does sound DE-LISH!
AVOCADO ICE CREAM
dessert recipes | serves / makes 1 litre
Avocado is a fruit, and it gives this silky treat a wonderful colour, not to mention a gorgeous texture, thanks to its fat content. Feel free to misbehave and add nuts, bashed-up chocolate or spices.
• 200g golden caster sugar
• Zest and juice of 1 lemon
• Zest and juice of 1 lime
• 2 vanilla pods, halved lengthways, seeds scraped out, pods reserved
• 4 ripe avocados, peeled and stoned
• 500ml whole milk
1. Put the sugar, all of the zest and juice from your lemon and lime, plus the scraped vanilla pods and seeds into a saucepan. Bring to the boil, then simmer for a couple of minutes until all the sugar dissolves. Take off the heat, pour into a bowl and leave to cool. Don’t put your finger in for a taste, though, as it could burn you.
2. Once the syrup is cool, remove the vanilla pods. Pop the avocado flesh into a liquidiser with the syrup and milk. Blitz to a smooth, light consistency – like a smoothie.
3. If you’ve got an ice-cream maker, put your mixture into it and churn till smooth and frozen. If not, pour it into a large baking dish or deep tray and pop it in the freezer, giving it a whisk every half hour or so until frozen and smooth. You can eat it right away or transfer it to little containers, cover them, and pop in the freezer for later.