Table for two, please!
For the past few months Ryan and I have been on a serious date night roll… and I’ve been loving it. Making date night a regular occurrence is hard when your calendars are full to the brim with work, family, and friends… We’ve realized that if we don’t plan ahead it just won’t happen. So we decided 2018 would be the year we took back date night!
Ryan marked off two nights a month for the full year, meaning no matter what happens those dates are booked for 2018! We can add more if we want, but we cannot take away… So far it has worked out perfectly! He also thought it would be fun to make one of those nights an “adventure date” and the other a “dinner and drinks date”. That way we’d get out and have some fun and try a few new restaurants. We are now 6 dates into our new Take Back Date Night Plan and it’s been magical!
Both Ryan and I look forward to these nights all month and often talk about where we will go next! These have become our favorite nights of the month by far and I can’t recommend this enough.
We even have date night rules like, neither of us are allowed to talk about work or that it doesn’t need to cost a lot to be special. So our adventure date nights have been where we’ve really gotten creative and have gotten outside the dinner date box. Below are a five of my favorites we’ve done so far:
5 Fun Date Night Ideas!
1. Fancy Lattes + New Books – We have a favorite coffee shop we love to go to that is near a Barnes & Nobel, which works out perfectly! We go to the coffee shop first and sip our lattes, split a treat, and chat about life before we head over to the bookstore to pick a new book. This is one of my favorites!
2. Picnic + Airplanes – We live near the airport and there is a big grassy lawn that overlooks the tarmac about a mile away from our house. We will grab a tote bag and toss in a bottle of wine, a few snacks, a blanket, and a couple of glasses, then head out to the lawn at sunset. It’s the most magical thing to watch those planes land and take off as the sky turns shades of bright pink and orange.
3. BYOS Movie Night – (Bring Your Own Snacks) The thrill of sneaking snacks into a movie theater will never get old and I have no idea why, but for some reason, it’s just so much fun. I will pack my tote bag to the brim with popcorn, candy, small champagne bottles and as soon as the lights go down I open up my Mary Poppins bag and we feast!
4. Fireworks + Dessert – Since we live so close to Disney, one of our favorite things to do on a nice night is to go watch the fireworks! We’ll drive out to a Disney hotel, the Grand Floridian is our favorite, and pretends like we are hotel guests. We walk right in, find a bench out in the back by the lake, bust out our snacks and enjoy the show! It’s honestly the best kind of night.
5. Progressive Dinner – Meaning all the favorites! Pizza at our favorite $3-a-slice place, beers at our favorite pub, dessert at our favorite ice cream parlor… it keeps the night fun and we love zipping around town getting to taste all of our favorites all in one night!
Another one of our rules is that we have to get dressed up or dressed for the occasion! No more phoning it in with a sweatshirt and jeans on date night because I’ve been behind the computer all day… Dressing up has actually been really fun! For our dinner and drinks nights I’ve been pulling out some of my favorite dresses and for our adventure nights, I’ve been wearing fun flirty looks like this one.
I love outfits that are easy to wear but also make a fun statement and feel just a tad more special! And this ruffled number does just that! As soon as I saw this skirt at JCPenney I knew it would be perfect for so many occasions… and any piece I can mix and match is a winner in my book. Also, I love being about to pick up something new for date night and let’s be real… you can’t beat a $20 skirt like this one, plus I totally flipped over this blue and white bow top! Such a fun look for a Sangria night or a pizza and wine on the lawn!
Hopefully, by now I’ve completely convinced you to pencil in a few fun date nights for you and your love and that date night doesn’t have to be boring, stuffy, or break the bank! Just put on something a little flirty and think outside the box!