Our New Kitchen Window Flower Box
Hey everyone! This is Ryan and I’m taking over again today to detail the most recent addition of a flower box under our kitchen window. That window is tucked in the very back corner of our side yard. We’re still deciding what exactly we want to do with that space, but it has always been our dream to add a window flower box to liven up the area. And that’s exactly what we gave it this weekend. It looks absolutely stunning and adds an incredible, custom look where there was once just a boring window.
Easy DIY Window Box
One of the easiest ways add color, character, and beauty to the outside of your house is with a simple window flower box. It’s a pretty simple project that most people can DIY in an afternoon. Here’s everything you need to know about the one we built, broken out into a few easy steps.
Start with gathering a few materials & tools. I used the following:
- 1×8 common board (two 8ft pieces)
- 1×2 common board (two 6ft pieces)
- One 6 or 8ft 1″ primed finger jointed moulding
- Nails or Wood Screws
- Lag Screws & Washers
- Wood Filler
- Hand Saw, Circular Saw, or Miter Saw
- Hammer or Brad Nail Gun
- Primer & Paint
I had purposefully overbought materials because, in my experience, having more is always more. It’s never fun to have to run back out to the store in the middle of a project!
Everything looked great so I proceeded to making the cuts. The dimensions for the box itself without the moulding & trim is 44″ L x 8″ H x 7 1/4″ W.
The box is made entirely out of 1×8 common board, so cut:
- 3x – 44″ pieces
- 2x – 5 and 3/4″ end pieces
Note: About those end pieces…If I did this again, I would cut them to 7 3/4″ so that they would cap off the ends rather than fit between the side panels.
I went ahead and applied a couple coats of 2-in-1 Primer and Paint. Normally I would have used separate primer and paint, but after picking up the wrong type of primer at the store I didn’t want to run out again : ) Fortunately, I had this Behr Exterior Paint & Primer in One. I have used it before on some outside trim work and it worked perfectly for this project. I painted the front, back, and sides of everything. I applied 2 coats.
From here I went ahead and assembled the box. I used my trusty clamps, 1 1/2″ GRK wood screws, and power drill to assemble. Feel free to use a nail and hammer anywhere you see me using the drill. It’s all about your preference, comfort level, and using the tools you own. I pre-drilled holes before driving in the screws because I was afraid that otherwise the boards might split. Success!
I drilled three drainage holes in the bottom of the box and covered the bottom with weed mat. You can nail, staple, or duct tape the mat over the holes. The objective is to keep dirt from draining out with the water. Sorry, I didn’t get a picture of the weed mat!
Next was the trim and moulding (completely optional). I used my miter saw to cut the very end of the 1×2 at a 45° angle. The way I measured the trim was so that the inside was flush with the inside of the box (so the trim would hang over the outside edge of the box by about 3/4″). The start of the 45° angle will be at the corner of the box. After that I cut the moulding at 45° angles. The larger end of the moulding goes flush underneath the trim. Turn the moulding upside down and wrap it around the bottom of the flower box. I used my brad nailer here.
With the flower box fully assembled, I caulked the joints and use wood filler to fill in any nail holes. This step is also optional, but I always like my wood work to appear like it’s one solid piece. Plus, caulking will make it more secure from leaks.
Now it’s time to mount it! Here’s where you will have to adapt to your specific home exterior. For me, I mounted it straight to the window trim using lag screws. To do this I made sure there were studs behind the fascia/window trim on either side as well as in the center using a basic stud finder. I measured out the distance of each hole and made sure that they would be level. You’ll want to mark those exact distances on your box. Next I drilled through the trim using a 9/16″ drill bit. Drill through the corresponding points on the back of the box. Beginning with the center hole, I wracheted three 2 1/2″ lag screws with washers until the box was tight and secure.
And just like that, we transformed this ordinary window into into a beautiful work of craftsmanship.
And finally, we added flowers:
The Flowers We Planted
The only thing we’re waiting on is for the flowers to fill in the box and spill over a bit. For now we’re thrilled with the gorgeous custom feel the window now has and we know it will only get better with time.
Hopefully, this has been easy to follow along. As always, if you have any questions, ask them in the comments below!