Finishing January Strong
January is quickly coming to a close which means we can all breath a collective sigh of relief that we did it, we made it through the most pressure filled “get-your-life-together” month all year. But this is also the time when all of those resolutions and goals for the year start to slip. Life gets busy, February is full of goodies, and we forget what year it is all together… it happens!
But this year instead of falling back into my normal work out rut ,which tends to happen after the newness of the year rubs off, I’ve enlisted these five habits below to help me stay on track. This year I don’t want to wake up each morning and dread the thought of running a few miles on the treadmill, but rather to wake up looking forward to getting my body moving. So I’ve make it my mission to change my way of thinking and enlist some help in the form of friends and of all things, new clothes!
Five Ways to Stay Motivated All Year Long
- Work Out With a Friend – Oh my gosh, this has been a total game changer. My best friend and I have been meeting at the gym at 6:00 am a few days a week to work out together and it’s something that I actually get excited about. We have so much fun, catch up on life’s current events, and keep each-other accountable. It’s seriously become the highlight of my week!
- Get It Done First – I actually really enjoy working out, but always feel pulled a thousand different directions during the day. If there’s any one thing that gets cut when life gets busy, it’s always going to be the gym. So if I go at 5:30-6 am I’m sure to actually get it done before the chaos of the day starts.
- Dress to Impress – Now this is where I’ve been SERIOUSLY lacking. I’ve been wearing the same gym clothes for what feels like 100 years now and none of them are in good shape. So I’ve made it my mission to get my work out drawer in order and only filled with the things I actually want to wear and get me motivated. Which means I need to start tossing those 10 year old sweat shirts and a stretched out leggings ASAP!
- Try Something New – A few years ago we got an Orange Theory in our neighborhood, but I had never once ventured inside. Then a girlfriend started going and she couldn’t stop raving about it. So after a few months of her nagging, I finally gave in! It was SO much fun and I seriously can’t wait to take another class! I want to bring Ryan with me next time, I know he’d love it too! It’s a full body work out that is fast paced and high energy. I’ve never in my life had that much fun at 6:00 am.
- Go to Bed – This one is hard for me. I’m not a night owl by any means, but I can alllllllwwwwwwaaaaayyyyysss find a task to do at 11:00pm that will take at least 2-3 hours minimum. So I pretty much have to force myself to stop what I am doing and go to bed at a decent time or I will totally miss my morning workout. Once the alloted time has pasted, it’s over. My solution is to make sure my phone is plugged in on the opposite side of the room – out of reach – and I’m under the covers with a book at a predetermined hour (say, 9 or 9:30pm). I’m definitely getting better at this, but there is still some serious room for improvement.
Now, if you are like me and before you can do any of these things you need to nail #3 on that list above, “Dress to Impress”, well then, I’ve got you covered! I recently went on a little ordering spree to find some new work out gear that might do the trick. Here’s what I found!
Also, I’ve bounced back in forth with tennis shoes but I just got these Nikes and LOVE them. Not only are they adorable, but they are incredibly comfy as well which is super important! Plus the are under $100… which makes them magical in my book!
Lastly, the bag… You’ve got to have a good bag that you can pack full with towels, snacks, head phones, etc. Plus this will make you look extra EXTRA cute!
Shop The Post:
There you have it, my five tips and tricks to keep you motivated all year long. But I’d love to know if you have any tried and true methods!
Photo Credit: chambersrl