Smoothies without all the bad stuff!
For those of you who have been following along for a while, you know I am a huge smoothie enthusiast! They are such a great option when you’re on the go and in a hurry, and they are SO much better than fast food. But, while smoothies are usually pretty healthy, I’ve found a lot of times there are tons of calories hidden inside. When you add, like, 3 bananas it kind of defeats the purpose. If I am gonna eat that, I’d rather just eat a piece of cake! I can’t be the only one?! I rounded up my five favorite healthy smoothie recipes to help you stay satisfied this summer!
P.S. You smoothie needs one of these!
Strawberry Watermelon Hydrating Smoothie – 145 Calories
This recipe is one I have been loving lately! It is super refreshing and perfect for hot summer afternoons!
- 1 cup watermelon
- 1/4 cup strawberries
- 1/2 cucumber
- 1/2 serving vanilla plant-based protein powder (I used Vega Performance Protein: 65 calories, 13 grams protein)
- 1/2 cup pure, unsweetened coconut water
- 4 ice cubes
Berry and Beet Green Smoothie – 84 Calories
This is such a good recipe! I love the beets in there for some added healthiness, becuase let’s face it, sometimes they’re just better hidden.
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice (from 1 orange)
- 2 cups stemmed coarsely chopped beet greens (from 1 bunch)
- 1 1/2 cups frozen mixed berries
- 1 medium raw red beet, peeled and cut into wedges (about 7 oz.)
- 1 medium frozen banana, broken into large pieces
Kale Mango Pineapple Smoothie – 250 Calories
This smoothie sounds SO good. Anything with mango and pineapple makes me feel like I am instantly transported to a tropical island, and some days you just really need that!
- 60 grams of kale
- 40 grams of mango chunks, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 40 grams of pineapple chunks, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- half a banana, for smoothness
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds (I also like flax seeds)
- 1 tablespoon oats
- 1.5 cups water, or until the smoothie reaches your desired consistency
Peanut Butter Berry Smoothie- 237 Calories
I love a good peanut butter smoothie, especially for breakfast! They always make me feel like my day is off to a great start!
- 1/4 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1/2 medium ripe banana
- 1 tablespoon creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup fresh or frozen raspberries
- 1/2 cup crushed ice
Sweet Spinach Smoothie- 296 Calories
This one is a little bit different from what I would normally make, but it sounds so delicious! I definitely am going to be trying this one soon!
- 2 cups spinach leaves, packed
- 1 ripe pear, peeled, cored, and chopped 15 green or red grapes
- 6 ounces fat-free plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons chopped avocado
- 1 or 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
What are your favorite smoothie recipes?!
Top image photographed by: Danielle Nichol Photography